Between May and October, Southern Right whales often cruise right next to the shore of the Fleurieu Peninsula.
Popular viewing spots include Port Elliot, Goolwa, Middleton and Victor Harbor, but your best starting point is the South Australia Whale Centre in Victor Harbor. The centre advises on where the latest and best whale sightings have been, and has two floors of exhibits on whales and sharks, including a complete skull of a Southern Right Whale.
Discover a world of whales at the SA Whale Centre.
- Delve into our cellar of secrets and immerse yourself in an underwater world where whales line the walls
- Stare into the jaws of a Great White Shark.
- Steer Sea Shepherd‘s “Steve Irwin” replica into pirated waters.
- Dig for fossils or crawl through the belly of a giant squid.
- Stop by and have a play in our Kids Zone.
- Visit our resident Eastern Long Neck Turtle “Soup”
- Get hands on with touch tables and microscopes.
- Learn about the life cycle of Leafy Sea Dragons with a wall length mural.
- Gaze at our Southern Right Whale Skull & Sperm Whale Vertebrae.
- Descend into Victor Harbors macabre whaling history and learn about our commitment to conservation.
- Marine themed Theatrette, featuring films about whales and other marine life.
- *COMING SOON – A Virtual Reality Marine Experience! Use our VR Goggles to immerse yourself in an underwater world, surrounded by local marine life. Footage used in our new exhibit has been captured by divers in our local marine sanctuaries!